How to get there?
Directions from Panama City to the Smithsonian's Gamboa Pier.
- Drive along the Gaillard Highway passing Albrook and Clayton on your right and the Miraflores locks on your left.
- Continue past the Pedro Miguel locks, past the community of Paraiso, past the Summit Golf Club and go under a small railroad bridge inscribed 1929.
- Immediately after the underpass, turn left on to Gamboa Road.
- Pass the entrance to the Summit Botanical Garden on your right.
- After approximately 11 kilometers you will arrive at a single-lane bridge that crosses the river to Gamboa.
- To STRI dock (follow the signs from the Gamboa bridge): After crossing the bridge, continue straight. Pass the former gas station and the ACP dock (Dredging Division) on your left, and the Gamboa Post Office and the colorful Santa Cruz houses on your right. Before this road turns to the right, take the sand road to the left to the STRI dock.
The trip takes about 40-45 minutes (without traffic jams). You can follow the Gamboa (Rainforest Resort) signs.
The Gamboa Pier
Public Transportation to Gamboa
Gamboa is frequented by the SACA bus. The SACA bus station in Panama City is located in Albrook terminal. The trip to Gamboa from the city will take approximately one hour. Be aware that departure times change frequently, so be sure to come 25 minutes early.
Taxis from Panama City to Gamboa cost $30 each way. Trips from the airport to Gamboa cost about $45 (for one person).
We recommend that you start early and drive safely, since animals frequently cross the highway once you enter Soberania National Park.
From Gamboa to Barro Colorado
We provide boat transportation from Gamboa to Barro Colorado.
Water Boats and Taxi